There is just so much to know about the human body. Minus the basic facts about your body, how much do you really know?
These 20 facts about the human body would definitely amaze you.
1. Humans shed about 600,000 particles of skin every hour.
2. Despite the fact that the brain accounts for 2% of the adult’s body mass, the human brain uses 20% of the entire body’s oxygen and calorie intake.
3. The human brain can read up to 1,000 words per minute.
4. When you blush, the lining of your stomach blushes too.
5. Sweat is actually odourless, it’s the bacteria on the skin that mixes with sweat that causes it to produce odour.
6. The bones are composed of 31% water.
7. The heart beats around 100,000 times every day or about 30 million times in a year.
8. When we smile, we exercise about 36 muscles.
9. It’s impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
10. People with blue eyes have a higher alcohol tolerance.
11. An average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva in a lifetime, enough to fill two swimming pools.
12. Your body produces about 25 million new cells each second.
13. In 30 minutes, the body gives off enough heat that could make a gallon of water to boil.
14. Thousands of bacteria can be found inside your belly button that could form an ecosystem the size of an entire rain forest.
15. The focusing muscles in your eyes move around 100,000 times a day. For your legs to have the same kind of workout, you would need to walk 50 miles.
16. Your nose can remember 50 different scents.
17. Your ears and nose never stop growing.
18. Just as everyone has unique finger prints, we all have unique tongue prints.
19. A sneeze could generate a wind of 166 km/hr, while a cough comes out at a speed of 100 km/hr.
20. A person is expected to breathe in about 45 pounds of dust in his / her lifetime.
21. Our nose performs air condition functions; it warms cold air, cools hot air and filters impurities.
22. We make around 1 to 1.6 litres of saliva a day.
23. Your taste buds are replaced every ten days.
24. A human baby has over 60 more bones than an adult.
25. In a day, the blood travels 12,000 miles around the body.